Students wishing to attend 3rd Street Elementary are required to live within 3rd Street’s attendance area. To determine if you live in our attendance area, please go to LAUSD’s School Finder to check your address. The administration diligently verifies the address information of all incoming and currently enrolled students. Students with falsified addresses will immediately be transferred to their home school.
If 3rd Street Elementary is your home school (school of residence), simply come to the office and enroll your child. If 3rd Street Elementary is not your home school, please see below for enrollment information for non-resident students. The office is available to assist you with enrollment between 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
TK / K Age Requirements
Transitional Kindergarten – child must be 5 years old between Sept 2, 2018 - Dec 2, 2018
Kindergarten - child must be 5 years old on or before Sept 1, 2018
State identification (driver’s license, DMV ID Card, Passport, court order)
LAUSD does not accept telephone bills or driver’s licenses as proof of residence. Any documentation offered as proof of residence must show the name of the parent/legal guardian, a current date and the residence address. (Resource: LAUSD’s Attendance Manual Policy & Procedures… [March 2013Version 3.0], Appendix D-1a).
2. Current Verification of Residency
- Rental or lease agreement or property tax bill, AND utility service bill (gas, electric, or water)
3. Other Required Documents for Registration (required upon returning completed registration packet):
- Student’s birth certificate, baptismal certificate, or court order
- Student’s immunization record (see below)
- All forms included in registration packet
Immunization Requirements – Transitional Kindergarten through Fifth Grade (LAUSD BUL-1660.8):
- OPV or IPV: 4-6 years old: 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday); 7-17 years old: 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 2nd birthday)
- DTP: 4-6 years old: 5 doses of DTap, DTP, or DT (4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday); 7-17 years old: 4 doses of DTaP, DTP, DT, Tdap, or Td (3 doses OK if last dose was given on or after 2nd birthday)
- MMR or MMR-V: 4-6 years old: 2 doses (Both given on or after 1st birthday. Only one dose of mumps and rubella vaccines are required if given separately); 7-17 years old: 1 dose (Dose given on or after 1st birthday. Mumps vaccine is not required if given separately.)
- Hep B or HBV: 4-6 years old: 3 doses
- Varicella (chickpox, VAR, MMR-V, or VZV): 4-6 years old: 1 dose; 7-17 years old: 1 dose for ages 7-12 years
Immunization Requirements - Pre-kindergarten (LAUSD BUL-1660.8):
- OPV or IPV: 3 doses
- DTaP or DTP: 4 doses
- MMR: 1 dose on or after 1st birthday
- Hib: 1 dose on or after 1st birthday (only required for children less than 4 years, 6 months)
- Hep B or HBV: 3 doses
- Varicella (chickenpox, VAR or VZV): 1 dose
Students who live outside of our area of residence may apply for a permit. There are two types of permits: intra-district and inter-district.
1. Intra-district Permit Transfers (school-to-school transfers within LAUSD)
3rd Street Elementary School is in the Los Angeles Unified School District. If you live within LAUSD but 3rd Street is NOT your home school, you need to complete an intra-district permit application, submit any additional proof as outlined here, and complete 3rd Street’s application for permit form. The intra-district permit may also be obtained from 3rd Street or your home school. Please note that the intra-district permit application requires that you first obtain your resident school principal’s signature followed by one from 3rd Street’s Principal Kim.
Permits are granted for the categories below:
- Child Care (Provider resides within 3rd Street school boundaries. Child care affidavit form)
- Parent Employment (One parent/guardian is employed within the 3rd Street school boundaries)
- Specialized Program - Transitional Kindergarten (TK students whose resident school does not offer a TK program)
- Specialized Program – School for Advance Studies (grade K-5 students who meet the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the ability or strong potential to work two years above grade level in academic subjects)
- Specialized Program – Dual Language Korean (grade K-5 students interested in learning both English and Korean)
- Sibling (K-5 students whom have a sibling already attending 3rd Street school on a valid permit)
2. Inter-district Permit Requests (permitting in from another district outside LAUSD)
3rd Street Elementary School is in the Los Angeles Unified School District. If you live outside LAUSD boundaries, you will need to complete an inter-district permit application and submit it online. Questions about Inter-District Permits? Call their department directly at (213) 202-7581.
Request for permits may be submitted to the main office after February 1. Students applying for a SAS permit will be notified by April 13, 2018. Acceptance notifications for all other permits will go out beginning April 17.
Please note that permit applications are not automatically granted and are dependent upon space availability and other factors.
Enrollment Information for Non-Resident Students (PERMITS)
3rd Street Elementary is a school for Advanced Studies (SAS) and offers a high-level academic program designed to improve the development and education of gifted and talented students. Qualified students currently enrolled in grades K-5 and who live within the LAUSD boundaries may apply for a School for Advanced Studies permit. Acceptance is based on the student meeting eligibility criteria and availability of space at 3rd Street Elementary. Students whose resident school is a School for Advanced Studies MAY NOT apply for the SAS program at 3rd Street. A full list of 2018-19 SAS schools can be found here.
Students who reside within the school's area of residence and meet the eligibility criteria are not required to submit a formal application and will be accommodated before any SAS permits are granted. Resident students interested in the SAS program should notify the office upon enrollment of their interest in being placed in our school's SAS program.
The 2018-2019 SAS application is available here. Please also complete the 3rd Street’s application for permit form so we know you will be requesting an SAS Permit. Additionally, for students verified with the critical thinking and problem solving skills criterion only, a portfolio should be submitted to support verification or non-verification of the potential ability to meet ALL FOUR critical-thinking and problem-solving skills in student’s primary language AND ability or strong potential to work at least two grade levels above. Documentation/supporting evidence that can be included in the student portfolio are as follows:
- Writing sample(s) that showcase extensive vocabulary
- Drawings/multi-media files
- Annotations of class activities and discussions/journals/logs
- Examples of assignments and projects that demonstrate depth and complexity
- Examples of new or creative thinking
- Examples of students using alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems (i.e.: constructed response)
- Letter of recommendation from person of choice (recommended current teacher/administrator)
- Formative and summative assessment examples (e.g. reading inventories showing above grade level abilities)
- Cumulative project examples
Kindergarten SAS applicants will also be assessed with a standardized LAUSD assessment in language arts and mathematics to verify eligibility. The SAS window opens October 27, 2017 and closes on March 23, 2018.
For the 2018-2019 school year, LAUSD has changed the enrollment process for incoming families interested in dual language programs. Beginning Monday, October 3, 2017 families interested in coming to 3rd Street for our Korean dual language program will now have to apply online at:
Further information about the application process, guideline and selection criteria can be found at: http://echoices.lausd.net/DLP/DlpLottery. A Dual Language FAQ is also avaialble at http://echoices.lausd.net/eChoicesFaq?t=m.
Korean Dual Language Program (KDLP)
Register for one of our 2017-18 tours here.
- Monday, October 2: Registration for Korean Dual Language Program opens at eChoices.lausd.net
- Thursday, October 12: Prospective Parent Meeting 1 @ 5:30 PM - 3rd Street Elementary - Information Session Only
- Friday, October 13: Prospective Parent Meeting 2 @ 9:00 AM - 3rd Street Elementary - School Tour Only
- Friday, October 27: School For Advanced Studies permit application widow opens
- Wednesday, November 8: Prospective Parent Meeting 3 @ 9:00 AM - 3rd Street Elementary - Information Session and Tour
- Thursday, February 1: Intra-District Permit application window for 2018-19 opens
- Thursday, February 8: Prospective Parent Meeting 4 @ 9:00 AM - 3rd Street Elementary - Information Session and Tour
- Thursday, March 22: Prospective Parent Meeting 3 @ 4:00 PM followed by Open House - 3rd Street Elementary
- Friday, March 23: School for Advanced Studies permit application window closes
- Monday, April 9: Kindergarten registration window opens. Enrollment assistance available in the main office between 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Friday, April 13: School for Advanced Studies permit application parent notification deadline
- Monday, April 16: Grade 1-5 registration window opens. Enrollment assistance between 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM. Permit acceptance notification window for all categories opens.